Saturday, July 12, 2014

Android Cop movie review

If you can’t tell what movie it’s ripping off, you need help.





With this one, I’m not sure if I should be expecting Asylum to make their rip-offs closer to the legitimate films, or if I should be expecting them to be WAY different. Of course, I’ll have to compare both versions anyway. While I haven’t seen the 2014 remake of

This does have similar plot elements, but quite a bit of it is unfamiliar. It’s almost as if they fed Robocop through some weird machine, the turd that came out the other end resulted in Android Cop. That’s the only explanation I could think of. While on the subject of turds, the actual ‘Android Cop’ is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen in my life. He’s not even a former human cop with erased memories. He doesn’t go rogue or anything, and his armor suit is… laughable. It also doesn’t help that he’s not threatening in any way, shape or form. His voice is stupid, the suit is stupid, EVERYTHING about him is stupid. He’s not cool at all.

What’s even stranger is that the film isn’t even centered around the android. If you read my review of the 1987 Robocop, you’ll know that I mentioned how relieving it was to see a film that didn’t use a normal human to be our eyes, be the ‘relatable character’ in this strange situation… just like Shia Labeouf in Transformers. Thankfully, Robocop was centered around the actual Robocop. In Android Cop, guess what we have? A human partner. They both engage in typical banter you would expect from this concept. Thankfully, he’s not annoying or stupid. He’s okay. Strangely enough, the normal human is on the DVD box. I don’t get it. That’s like putting One of the background scientists in Jurassic Park on the main poster.

As for the other characters… I don’t remember or care about them. The acting, for the most part, was… slightly decent… I guess. Only a few actors do alright, but all the others are bad. Really bad. Especially the Android Cop himself. It’s almost an insult to the original.

There isn’t much to say when it comes to the story. It’s the only Asylum rip-off that does try to be more creative in the story, but no matter how hard it tries, it’s still Robocop.

I will admit, this movie did do things I didn’t expect from an Asylum movie. The first thing that surprised me was (SPOILER. If you care) the twist where the normal cop turns out to secretly be an android, too. He didn’t even know. The twist was done pretty well. There wasn’t much in the way of foreshadowing, which is good. Props to the Asylum for that. Props again for the rather well done climax. Nothing too special, but it did manage to be kinda serious and tense. Kinda. The performances from the actors in that part were a lot better than what is usually seen in Asylum movies. I know I’ve built up the Asylum to be this almighty crappy movie making kings (which they still are), but I do give credit where it’s due (unlike some high profile critics out there).

Another improvement I noticed was the CGI. There isn’t a lot of it, which surprised me. Usually, these movies would have the worst CGI ever, and use it for nearly everything in their movies. What little animation is done here is decent. The Asylum is getting ever so slightly better at their animation, which is a good thing. Hopefully they’ll be even smarter and use their crappiness to their advantage for all their movies.

This definitely isn’t one of the Asylum’s worst films, but it’s still not good enough to really bother seeing. There isn’t much that I would say is bad, other than that poor excuse for an android. This is one of their recent films, and I can already see that they’re stepping in the right direction. It’s proof that they are starting to put at least a little bit of effort into their work. Whether they stay on this path is unknown.

If you want to check this one out for yourself, that’s fine. Nothing here will make you rip your own lungs out. Just don’t expect much.

FINAL RATING: 12 / 50
STORY: 1 / 5
ACTING: 2 / 5
CHARACTERS: 1 / 5
CG/EFFECTS: 2 / 5
ACTION: 2 / 5
SOUNDTRACK: 1 / 5
TONE: 1 / 5
ENJOYABILITY: 2 / 5
REWATCH VALUE: 0 / 5
OWNING VALUE: 0 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment