Sunday, January 12, 2014

Ironman 2008 review

This is the first review to be posted for this blog. I’ve thought of what to review for the first time. I wondered if it should be a recent film, or an old science fiction with the budget of 2 chickens and a goat. As much as I would love to do that, I decided to go ahead and do a certain bunch of movies that everyone seems to go crazy for, Marvel’s Avengers series.




The Avengers series has some of the coolest and most highly anticipated movies that we’ve had the fortune of experiencing. They’re full of comicbook style action, memorable characters, and some pretty bad@$$ superheroes. 

I’ve never read the comics at all, and these movies do a good job at adapting them for people who don’t read them. So I’m going to review them one by one, and you can bet I’ll be seeing Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. I’ll go in order of their release. The first is Ironman, in 2008.

This movie is the $h!t. Could they have started with a more amazing hero? No. This is pretty much one of the best superhero movies made to date. I love it.

Just a reminder, I never did read any of the comics he was in, so I’m not entirely knowledgeable on his background, or who his enemies are. I just go by what the movies show.... until we get to Iron man 3. That debate is understandable. Should I even give a spoiler warning here? Most people have seen it by now. In case you haven’t, then where have you been for nearly the past 6 years?

The plot involves Tony Stark, played by Robert Downey Jr, who is a famous billionaire specializing in weapon technology. He’s in the middle east, about to demonstrate a new missile, and he gets abducted by terrorists. They want Tony to make weapons for them, and he reluctantly accepts. His prison mate helps him out, and the two build an armored suit to break out of the cave. Tony escapes after blowing everything up. He’s found by rescue helicopters and returns to America.

He makes the decision for his business to quit making weapons, and everyone freaks out. His business partner, Obadiah, played by Jeff Bridges, starts acting like a jerk. The majority of the movie is basically Tony building his new robot suit, trying to make the suit work, then going on terrorist hunting missions. The final part includes Obadiah making an ironman suit of his own, then going on a rampage.

After the spectacular action sequence, Agent Coulson from SHIELD arrives to give him the cover up story for the press, but Tony just tells the world he’s Iron man anyway. When I first saw that, I thought it was stupid. It’s superhero rule #1! Don’t give away your identity! But I got over it.

This is pretty much the coolest superhero movie ever. The story is great, the acting is perfect, the characters are memorable, and the CG and special effects are fantastic. I love it when he's doing all sorts of combat with the suit!  I really can’t find anything wrong with it. I love it, and so does the majority of other people. I give this one my highest rating. 

FINAL RATING: 50 / 50
STORY: 5 / 5
ACTING: 5 / 5 
CHARACTERS: 5 / 5 
CG/SPECIAL EFFECTS: 5 / 5 
ACTION: 5 / 5 
SOUNDTRACK: 5 / 5
TONE: 5 / 5

ENJOYABILITY: 5 / 5
REWATCH VALUE: 5 / 5 
OWNING VALUE: 5 / 5 

Let Me know what you thought of Ironman in the comments, and be sure to check back for my review of The Incredible Hulk, coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment