Monday, January 13, 2014

Iron Man 2 review

Iron Man 2 is the third in the Avengers series. This one introduces Nick Fury, and the whole SHIELD operation going on. Now, the first Iron Man is one of my favorite superhero movies to date, and the majority of others think it’s pretty good, so you could probably imagine the hype this movie got. Honestly, I was kinda disappointed at first.






The first time I watched this, I thought it was boring. All it had was Iron Man getting drunk in his suit, fighting with his friend, then Samuel L. Jackson showed up, Iron Man kept getting drunk, there were only two or three fight scenes, and nothing cool happened. I was at the age where I started forming my own opinions on things, and I was just mad it didn’t live up to the first. It’s been a few years, so I’ve gotten over it. Only a few months ago I saw it on the TV guide. Nothing else was on, so I figured it was either this, or nothing. Weird how some viewpoints can change over the course of a few years. But what am I doing here, giving you a trip down memory lane, or reviewing a movie?

I gave it a watch again, and I liked it a lot better than the first time. After thinking about it, I can now say that this movie is a step above filler. It has important plot points for the Avengers, and is overall just... entertaining and enjoyable.

The story is about Tony Stark with all sorts of problems. His blue glowing chest... thingy... is starting to kill him, and he has to make a new element to put into a triangle shaped blue glowing chest... thingy... in order to save him. At the same time, Nick Fury is trying to get him into SHIELD’s Avengers initiative. Also at the same time, the US military is pressuring him and wondering if there are other Iron Man suits out there and if they could be used as superweapons. To top it all off, it just so happens that there is another Iron Man like suit built by some Russian guy with a bird who wants to kill Tony because his dad and Tony’s dad had a rivalry, and there’s this corporate jerk trying to use the Russian guy to build
a bunch of Iron Man suits to upgrade the military so he can make money. 

It’s a bit convoluted when I explain it, but when you watch the movie, it all falls into place.... kind of. If I tried to explain it perfectly, then it would take too long because I’d have to explain the entire movie. I just feels a bit cluttered at times. Just a bit too many subplots. Sometimes a more complex plot could work, but here, it doesn’t. The only parts that are actually important to the Avengers overall story, are the scenes with SHIELD, Tony’s new element chest thingy, and Black Widow.

I need to mention one thing that will just make me sound like a hormonally unstable and awkward teenager, but... Scarlett Johansson as a redhead spy... is really, REALLY... beautiful. She is gorgeous! Looking back, I think she’s the one that made red my favorite hair color on a girl. She’s the reason I love redheads... even though she’s blond in real life. An added bonus, is that she can kick major @$$. I love it when girls can beat the living crap out of me. I don’t want to go on a mad rave of how much I like Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, so I’ll get back to professional criticism... because I’m suddenly a professional.... because I said so.

One problem with this movie was Tony’s story arc. You might be asking how in the holy mother of F#%K I could have a problem with Tony Stark. I’ll tell you. I get that he’s dying, and I get that he’s supposed to be facing new challenging situations. It’s basic sequel rules. But to see Tony just
wrecking himself and not caring, it’s sad. It could have worked well! If they did it right, they could have had it worked out really well! It could have been an emotional challenge that pushed him to be a better person. But he’s just a drunk jerk, and not anything like the Tony we all love. Sure he’s a jerk in the other films, but it’s not his only quality, and we like him a whole lot more.

The other problems include the lack of action. The first one had a lot more action scenes, and when they happened, they were both fun and pertained to the story. There’s a lot less action here. Only 3 fight scenes. Tony’s drunk in the second one, and he’s fighting his friend who has one of his other Iron Man suits. I guess that one didn’t count. But when the fights did

happen, they were pretty freaking cool, Although they did last only a few minutes. I know not every movie is going to be explosions and superhero fights and all that, there has to be time devoted to the story. I just really wish there was a bigger emphasis on action.


Alright, after a second watch, this movie isn’t as bad as I thought it was at first. There are some problems, and those problems do take away from the enjoyability of it. Of course, the CG and special effects are still good to look at, and the fights, when they happen, are cool as well. The acting is great. Robert Downey Jr. is perfect, the villains were alright, and the characters they play are enjoyable. The soundtrack is okay, and overall, I say if you’re bored, or just feel like watching something, then this movie is a recommendation.

FINAL RATING: 36 / 50
STORY: 3 / 5
ACTING: 4 / 5 

CHARACTERS: 4 / 5
 VISUAL EFFECTS: 5 / 5 
ACTION: 4 / 5 SOUNDTRACK: 3 / 5
TONE: 3 / 5 
ENJOYABILITY: 4 / 5 
REWATCH VALUE: 3 / 5 
OWNING VALUE: 3 / 5

A pretty entertaining movie, although a bit disappointing. Not bad enough to hate on. If only the studio didn’t push for it to be made in only two years, just for the sake of making more money faster, then we would most likely have gotten a better movie. But, this one is still alright. Next up on the reviewing list is Thor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment