Monday, May 5, 2014

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 review

One word to sum up the ending: heartbreaking. For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, I can’t say why the ending is so sad. You’ll most likely see it spoiled somewhere else, though.






Anyway, this movie has seen very mixed reviews. Most critics are hating on it, and a lot of general audiences seem to like it. A lot of people are bashing it for being set up for future movies, when they have no problem with the Avengers films doing it. I don’t get those people at all. For just being set up, this movie is still very good. The story might have some flaws, but all movies do.


Again, Andrew Garfield is the best Spider-Man put on screen to date. The character is played so well, and the movie shows how being Spider-Man is making his life so complicated. His life is a little bit of a mess right now, but he handles it quite well. He’s still the fun, charismatic guy he always was. The relationship with Gwen Stacy is adorable. They are so cute together! Gwen is still the most awesome girlfriend ever in Spider-Man movies. She still does important things, she handles herself well, and it was… uh… yeah, I cried a little at the end. If you don’t want spoilers, then don’t ever look up anything involving the Amazing Spider-Man on the internet until after you see this movie.


On that note, the emotional scenes were great! Each one made me feel for the characters, and I honestly felt sad for the villains out of everyone. Before I go over that, I will address that 3 villains in one superhero movie, especially Spider-Man, don’t usually go well. Didn’t feel cluttered, just felt like two of the villains took a back seat to the main one. Electro, played by Jamie Foxx, was the main bad guy, and Harry Osborn was his partner. Harry eventually did become the Green Goblin, but it happened a bit too suddenly, and it only lasted for a bit. the only purpose he served as of now was to… um… yeah. Do that.


As for the Green Goblin himself, I don’t feel like they wasted him entirely. They didn’t kill him off, so they could use him for future movies. This was just his introduction. The Rhino, on the other hand, was only there to set up for the Sinister Six movie. It was cool when he was on screen, but it lasted for about 3 minutes… near the end. I think he should have been saved for the next film, or at least the after credits scene. He didn’t need a poster at all. The film would NOT have been affected if he was taken out. It actually would have saved it a lot of criticism.


Anyway, to my surprise, I found myself not only liking the villains, but rooting for them as well. That doesn’t happen too often. I felt bad for Electro. He was just a pushover, nobody noticed him, and nobody gave him credit for anything. He doesn’t automatically turn evil, he’s just pi$$ed at everyone. He doesn’t want to hurt anybody, but one thing leads to another, and he decides to screw everyone over. He’s now one of my favorite villains of any superhero movie, and probably my new favorite Spider-Man enemy. He also looks cool! His eyes… just look at them!





When this guy gets all evil, he means business. He is immensely powerful, and I love him. Not because he’s evil, but because he’s justified for his feelings towards everyone. People are jerks to him throughout the film, and it’s fun to see him set them straight.


Harry Osborn is another really good character. He’s dealing with a problem (which I won’t spoil), and he’s determined to fix it. It doesn’t end well for him, since he turns into this.





But again, there were some guys at Oscorp that were being total jerks to him. I wanted this guy to win, but then the writers decided he should become the Green Goblin, and so, he did. Rather suddenly. But still, he was a good character, and I’m looking forward to him in later films.


One of the coolest parts of the movie was the soundtrack. It was all dubsteppy and electric and everything in that nature. Then there was the whispering and even more dubstep sounds, and it’s just completely ‘amazing’! (See what I did there?) One of my favorite parts is when Electro is fighting Spider-Man to the beat of the music. It's hilarious. Heck, this whole movie is hilarious. I love it!


Some flaws in the story, and some cartoonish acting with a few of the people took me out of it for brief moments, but the good emotional scenes, well written characters, and fun action scenes kinda make up for it. I know this is just a continuation of the story, and set up for other movies, but I still enjoyed it… aside from that one heartbreaking part. Go see it, and enjoy. Just a tip: I would pay attention to Felicia, when watching it. Assuming they go that route later, which they most likely will.

FINAL RATING: 45 / 50
STORY: 3 / 5
ACTING: 4 / 5
CHARACTERS: 5 / 5
CG: 3 / 5
ACTION: 5 / 5
SOUNDTRACK: 5 / 5
TONE: 4 / 5
ENJOYABILITY: 5 / 5
REWATCH VALUE: 5 / 5
OWNING VALUE: 5 / 5

2 comments:

  1. I loved it too! I can't wait for it to come out on DVD because I will be watching it over and over again with Carter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's too much going on, but when the movie pays attention to one aspect and wants to be fun, then it's totally worth the watch. Good review.

    ReplyDelete