Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Better Call Saul season 1 finale, Godzilla 2016, and more

There's been a lot of noteworthy things going on recently, so let's get right to it.





To start things off, the season 1 finale of Better Call Saul premiered earlier this week. I myself was very pleased with the season as a whole, although I will admit that with all that went on so far, nothing really much happened. Things just... go on. Not that what's happened in the season thus far hasn't been engaging, which it truly is, but it just seemed like nothing paid off. It's like they cut off the season too early. The finale episode didn't feel like a finale. Other than that, I can't say I was disappointed with what we've gotten so far.

Moving on, there has been some news concerning the upcoming Godzilla film in 2016. No, this is not the sequel to Legendary's 2014 movie. Toho, the company that originally made Godzilla, is working on their own movie due to the success of the 2014 film worldwide. I, personally, am glad to see Toho making another one. They haven't produced a Godzilla film since 2004, and I think it's about time they got back to it. I really hope that Toho can pull this off, because the Japanese Godzilla films need more recognition. In case it wasn't obvious, it will be a Japanese movie. Also, in case this wasn't obvious as well, this film doesn't mean that Legendary won't be making any more Godzilla movies. We're still getting the 2018 sequel. Don't worry.

The new development that was revealed a couple days ago is about the two people heading the film's production. Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi will be in charge of the 2016 movie. Hideaki Anno is best known by anime fans as the writer and animator of the very popular anime series, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Basically, Evangelion is a show about giant cyborg mechas fighting weird, messed up, giant alien monsters. I have never seen it, but it does have its fanbase. It's also the series whose fans have bashed and hated Pacific Rim because they think Pacific Rim is a ripoff of Evangelion... even though it's not. At all. And Evangelion is HARDLY the first thing to show giant robots fighting giant monsters. But that little issue is a debate for another time. Hideaki Anno is going to be the chief director and writer for the 2016 Godzilla film.

The other guy, Shinji Higuchi, is the special effects director of the movie. He has done the effects for the entirety of the 1990's Gamera trilogy. For those that don't know, Gamera is a giant turtle monster that was created in the shadow of Godzilla. There was a rebooted trilogy in the 90's, and they rivaled the quality of Toho's Godzilla... for once. I may end up reviewing those one day. The effects in those movies are indeed fantastic, and with the technology we have at our disposal these days, I think Shinji Higuchi can really pull it off to the best of his abilities.

In other news, Warner Brothers now has the rights to make a 5 Nights at Freddy's movie. You may have heard of it before, but if you don't know what it exactly is, I'll give you a little info. 5 Nights at Freddy's is a series of horror video games online that has gotten a huge following over the last year. You play as a night guard at a Chuckie Cheese ripoff. You're stationary in the security room watching the cameras and closing doors at the right time to protect yourself from the animatronics, who are evil... for some reason. It looks like an okay game, albeit a bit too reliant on jumpscares. I'm not too excited for it myself. The way horror movies are these days, and the way that video game movies have always been, I don't think the quality of it is going to be that high. But given its fanbase, I see it making a significant amount of money. 

The last two things I'd like to touch on -that aren't as big as I'd like to think they are, but I still think it's cool- are... 

1: there is a new Transformers cartoon series going on. Transformers: Robots in Disguise is the sequel series to Transformers Prime, my favorite animated series of all time. I think it's alright so far, but I think I should do a review on Transformers Prime pretty soon. 

2: I'm still hurting from the shock of Zayn leaving One Direction. It's hard... but I think I'll get through it. 

More reviews will be coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment