Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies (2014) movie review

Well…. it’s the end of an adventure. An adventure that started back in December 2012, with An Unexpected Journey. It is the absolute best multi movie adventure I’ve had the fortune of experiencing in theaters.





In this epic conclusion of the Middle Earth saga, the dwarves have finally taken back their mountain, they have all the gold, the riches… and now everyone and their mother is looking to take over the mountain. 90% of the movie is purely action, intensity, desperation, and hard hitting emotional scenes. Standing alone, the movie’s story is a darn solid one. But I don’t know why you would look at its story alone. It’s a single story trilogy. In essence, all 3 installments are the same movie. So that means the entire movie is out now, so NOW we can all truly judge the story. I have judged it. It’s awesome.  

I must warn you, though- if you’re a human with a soul, then you will be crying at this movie. I’m crying. I started crying when the credits rolled, and I haven’t stopped since. I may have shed a tear or two in.. maybe 2 or 3 other movies, but never before has a film made me cry uncontrollably. There’s just so much emotion in this movie! It hits you right where you can feel it! It’s almost too much, which leads to tears beyond belief!

If there is one thing that this movie excels at, it’s the emotions. It all feels genuine. Every heartbreaking and touching scene was far more effective than I thought it would be. Yes, even the resolution of the romance between Tauriel and Killi (yes, I finally remember the dwarf’s name). It didn’t feel unnecessary or forced, even though it was kind of unnecessary to begin with. It’s a nice subplot that once again remains a subplot, so it’s nothing to get too critical about.

The 2 biggest improvements over Desolation of Smaug are the special effects and the music. The effects look WAY better than before. Some of it is noticeable, like the Wood Elf King’s moose-steed, and some of the monsters. The rest of it looks fantastic. In terms of music… it’s amazing. The music accomplishes 2 things: 1- getting the excitement flowing in a fight scene. 2- making you cry like a sissy. The best music isn’t even a part of the score by Howard Shore. It’s in the end credits, and it’s the film’s featured song by Billy Boyd, called The Last Goodbye. That’s what probably got everyone in my theater crying the most. That’s right, I wasn’t the only one.

The only problem I have with Battle of the Five Armies was how anticlimactic it felt. I thought that there was still some battling left to go after a certain event happened, but I guess I was wrong. That event happens, then the story wraps up from there. It might take away from other viewers, but I got over it.

It was honestly sad to see the credits rolling for this one. The adventure that’s kept me engrossed in Middle Earth is finally over. The adventure that I and many others felt like we were a part of is actually done. It’s hard to accept, really. That’s why I was bawling. That’s also why I’m going to contemplate over life while listening to the soundtrack. It’s a sad farewell, and… I’ll miss having something to look forward to like I have with these films. All I want to do now is thank Peter Jackson, Martin Freeman, all the cast and crew, and everyone that worked on these, including the freaking caterers, for 3 of the best experiences I’ve ever had at the movies. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. And if the filmmakers actually read this thank you, that’d be really sweet.


FINAL RATING: 50 / 50
STORY: 5 / 5
ACTING: 5 / 5
CHARACTERS: 5 / 5
CGI/EFFECTS: 5 / 5
ACTION: 5 / 5
SOUNDTRACK: 5 / 5
TONE: 5 / 5
ENJOYABILITY: 5 / 5
REWATCH VALUE: 5 / 5
OWNING VALUE: 5 / 5


I’m going to go cry some more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment